We Know You Can!
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is our new early literary initiative designed to jumpstart skills and begin a lifetime of learning and fun!
Reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding, and will create life-long memories for the both of you. Give your child the confidence to eventually become successful readers.
How the program works
- 1. Sign-up at the Children’s Room desk.
- 2. Keep track of how many books you have read.
- 3. Include any book that is being read to your child.
- 4. You can repeat books!
- 5. Receive recognition and a reward every time you reach another 100 books.
How long does it take?
- 3 books a day for 1 year = 1,095 books
- 1 book a day for 3 years = 1,095 books
Tips & Suggestions
- Have fun! Use different voices, motions, facial expressions, and props to bring the story to life.
- Snuggle up! Hold your child in your lap or next to you. Include a favorite blanket, stuffed animal, or other comfort item.
- Talk about it! Point out things in the pictures. Ask your toddler questions about the pictures and story. Share stories about yourself.
- Stay flexible! It’s ok to skip pages, read back to front, just look at the pictures, or not finish a book. You can also read aloud while your child plays with other toys.
- Be prepared! Keep books close at hand – throughout your home, in the diaper bag, in the car – for sharing anytime. A few minutes throughout the day add up to a big benefit for your child.
- Repeat favorites! Children love to hear their favorite stories over and over again. Repetition helps them gain important literacy skills.