We Know You Can!
1000 Books Before Kindergarten is our new early literary initiative designed to jumpstart skills and begin a lifetime of learning and fun!
Reading with your child provides a great opportunity for bonding, and will create life-long memories for the both of you. Give your child the confidence to eventually become successful readers.
How the program works
- 1. Sign-up at the library.
- 2. Keep track of how many books you have read.
- 3. Include any book that is being read to your child.
- 4. You can repeat books!
- 5. Receive recognition and a reward every time you reach another 100 books.
How long does it take?
- 3 books a day for 1 year = 1,095 books
- 1 book a day for 3 years = 1,095 books
Tips & Suggestions
- Have fun! Use different voices, motions, facial expressions, and props to bring the story to life.
- Snuggle up! Hold your child in your lap or next to you. Include a favorite blanket, stuffed animal, or other comfort item.
- Talk about it! Point out things in the pictures. Ask your toddler questions about the pictures and story. Share stories about yourself.
- Stay flexible! It’s ok to skip pages, read back to front, just look at the pictures, or not finish a book. You can also read aloud while your child plays with other toys.
- Be prepared! Keep books close at hand – throughout your home, in the diaper bag, in the car – for sharing anytime. A few minutes throughout the day add up to a big benefit for your child.
- Repeat favorites! Children love to hear their favorite stories over and over again. Repetition helps them gain important literacy skills.
MORE EARLY LITERACY ACTIVITIES
Fridays are full of fun and learning at the RPL’s Happy Place! Kids’ concerts, sensory play, dance parties and more for children up to age 5 and their caregivers. Check our calendar for details.